Research & Development
The R&D and Quality Control Division of Nagarjuna Ayurveda was started in1994 as a quality control laboratory and eventually got upgraded in to a full-fledged research laboratory. Nagarjuna Ayurveda created the trend of commercializing and organizing Ayurveda by creating one of the best R&D institutes in India with ISO Certification in Ayurveda. This has been possible through systematic R&D work and Lab practices. The highly trained team of Scientists and Physicians, from different disciplines, has successfully developed several valuable formulations which have helped the group to set new standards of excellence in Herb-oriented Health Care.
The R&D Unit has evolved stringent methods for analyzing and testing of raw materials and end products. A dedicated team of research scientists and quality experts conduct research for the development of new formulations and standardization of drugs.
Nagarjuna Research Foundation (NRF) is the charitable trust, which is heading and controlling the research activities of the various subsidiaries of Nagarjuna Ayurveda. Besides the research works on products and treatments, it is also involved in promoting Ayurvedic studies and the cultivation of medicinal plants. It has instituted the renowned ‘Oushadhamithram’ Award, presented to the best cultivator of medicinal plants, each year. The Nagarjuna Ayurveda Group has instituted the prestigious ‘Nagarjuna Merit Awards’ for promoting Ayurvedic Medical Education.
The focus of Nagarjuna Ayurveda is on
- Raw material standardization and sharing of the technology with the industry.
- Product development with proof in allopathic reference.
- Process R&D for production process standardization.
- Presenting the traditional products in the modern convenient forms.
Nagarjuna has been successful in establishing standard parameters for medicinal herbs, operating procedures in the manufacturing process, as well as development and fixation of scientific criteria and quality standards for the different classes of finished products (medicines). Introducing standards for packaging also is an objective of this Research and Development Unit
R & D Departments
|Pharmacognosy||To identify genuine raw materials through Microscopic and Macroscopic methods.|
|Chemistry||To ensure pre process, in process and post process quality standards.|
|Pharmaceutics||To ensure new forms, presentations and optimum dosage.|
|Microbiology||To ensure absence of microbial contamination in medicines, to standardize fermentation, to identify herbs having good antibacterial & antifungal properties.|
|Pharmacology||To scientifically evaluate the efficacy, toxicity and dosage of the herbal formulations.|
|Clinical Research||To conduct various phases of clinical trails using Epidemiological parameters.|
Recognitions and Approvals
- Nagarjuna Ayurveda has the only ISO certified R&D in state of Kerala, India. The adherence to quality standards helped Nagarjuna Ayurveda in becoming one among, the hand full of, ISO certified Ayurveda R&D’s, in India.
- Nagarjuna Ayurveda R&D Division is recognised by Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR), Govt. of India.
- Animal Testing laboratory approved by the Committee for the Purpose of Control & Supervision of Experiments on Animals (CPCSEA), Govt. of India. Incidentally this is the only Ayurvedic Company in the Indian State of Kerala which is having such a facility.
- Approved Product and Crude Drug Testing Laboratory by Pharmacopoeial Laboratory of Indian Medicine (PLIM), Govt. of India. The institute utilises the unique Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometer for heavy metal testing and Chromatographic finger-printing for raw material standardisation. It is the first one of its kind in the Ayurvedic industry in the State of Kerala and one among only less than 20 such Labs in the total of India. This approval means that even other manufacturers may bring in their raw materials as well as finished products to this Lab for getting them tested and certified on behalf of the Govt of India.
Research Partners and Collaborative Projects.
- Central Food Technology Research Institute, Mysore – Fermentation of Arishtasavas with Special Reference to Draksharishtam and Pippalyasavam
- Sree Chithra Thirunal Institute of Medical Science and Technology, Thiruvananthapuram – Cardoguard tablet – Delineation of Molecular Mechanism of Action and its Efficacy in regression of Ventricular Hypertrophy.