Back and neck pain can be associated with a number of reasons, spinal disc problems, spondylosis, ligament injuries, injuries from sprains, fractures, or accidents, and pelvic inflammatory diseases are considered to be the major causes.
Ayurveda for back and neck pain
According to Ayurveda,back and neck pain mainly occurs due to poor or unhealthy diet and bad posture, which in turn results in the lack of flexibility of the muscles, causing severe pain in the upper, middle or lower back. As the pain continues to aggravate, it tends to spread to both the sides of the waist as well as the hip. Although back pain can be associated with a number of reasons, spinal disc problems, ligament injuries, injuries from sprains, fractures, or accidents, and pelvic inflammatory diseases are considered to be the major causes
To put it precisely, back pain can mainly occur due to:
1. Sedentary lifestyle, stressful jobs, anxiety, depression, obesity, smoking, strenuous physical exercises, and physical works.
2. Spinal cord infections that cause fever and lethargy
3. Spinal cord tumours that compress the spine and nerve roots, thus causing excruciating pain.
4. Hereditary - Certain causes of back pain, including ankylosing spondylitis (a kind of arthritis that affects the spinal cord), are hereditarily transferred from one generation to the other.
Why Nagarjuna is one of the most trusted brands in Kerala Ayurveda?
- An experience of more than 30 years in Ayurvedic outpatient and inpatient treatment
- Manufacturing over 450 medicines and an all India distribution network with over 18000 ayurvedic doctors prescribing our medicines
- Through our Hospital we have so far treated more than 7,500 patients from around 70 countries globally
- A fully fledged ISO certified Research & Development division, and NABH certified hospital.
You can avail of a free online consultation with our Ayurvedic physicians. Lifestyle is one of the major reasons for ill-health which could later lead to serious diseases. For an initial assessment of your life style by our physician, please spend one minute in order to fill the lifestyle questionnaire.
If not completely, back pain can be effectively controlled to a certain extent with the following day-today activities:
1. Regular exercises will help keep your back muscles strong and healthy
2. Walking can keep your stomach as well as back muscles healthy
3. Maintain a healthy weight
4. Try to maintain healthy and safe postures
5. Avoid heavy lifting whenever possible
Ayurveda cites imbalance of Vata dosha as the main reason for back pain, which is called Nitambha Shoola in traditional ayurvedic texts. This can occur due to muscle and/or bone weaknesses, the reason why most of the ayurvedic treatments for back pain focus on regaining the balance of Vata dosha.
A few of the common traditional ayurvedic treatment patterns for back pain or lumbago includes:
1. Use of medicinal herbs
2. Ayurvedic diets
3. Upanaha or medicinal poultice
4. Dhanyamla dhara or pouring of fermented medicated liquid
5. Vasti (medicinal enema)